Re: Looping jobs from within the jobfile

On 22 February 2013 12:10, Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22 2013, Gavin Martin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to understand the "loops" feature.
>>
>> I have jobfile that I would like to loop round a number of times:-
>>
>> {jobfile.fio}
>> [global]
>> ioengine=libaio
>> direct=1
>>
>> [job1]
>> rw=randrw
>> rwmixread=70
>> bsrange=4k-128k
>> iodepth=4
>> runtime=3m
>> filename=/dev/sdm
>> size=4G
>> time_based
>> offset=0
>>
>> [job2]
>> stonewall
>> rw=write
>> bs=512K
>> size=12G
>> filename=/dev/sdm
>> iodepth=1
>> timeout=5m
>> offset=20G
>> {/jobfile.fio}
>>
>> So above I have a random read/write section followed by a sequential
>> write section.  I would like to loop round this for x number of times,
>> for example randrw, seqw, randrw, seqw, randrw, etc.  I've tried using
>> the "loops=x" option in the global section, but all this does is loop
>> each job before moving onto the next, at the moment it does randrw,
>> randrw, seqw, seqw.
>>
>> Along with the above I was hoping that with the run status group
>> report at the end of the run, it would give the average of each of
>> those runs with the received min and max values:-
>>
>> Run status group 1 (all jobs):
>>   WRITE: io=8192.0MB, aggrb=56333KB/s, minb=56333KB/s, maxb=56333KB/s,
>> mint=148909msec, maxt=148909msec
>>
>> but at the moment the "minb" and "maxb" have the same values.  Ideally
>> it would give the max and min values for each of those loops of that
>> particular job, along with the average.
>>
>> Is this possible from within the jobfile?
>
> That's not currently possible. loops=x just makes fio repeat the same
> job section any number of times, and all iterations are included in the
> output. So job1 would run x times, then job2 would run x times, because
> of the stonewall between them.
>
> If you want separate reporting and also iterations of x{job1,job2}
> instead of x{job1} then x{job2}, then it probably is easier to just
> script around that and loop around the fio invocation instead.
>
> --
> Jens Axboe

Thanks Jens,

That what I was planning to do, but just wondered if it was possible
from within the jobfile, thereby keeping all the reporting in one
place.

You've built a great tool with load of different options, making it
very flexible, it is just sometimes difficult finding and
understanding the right ones.