Re: Simulating Real Random I/O with FIO

On 2/6/13 8:10 AM, "Jens Axboe" <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Mon, Feb 04 2013, Neto, Antonio Jose Rodrigues wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> This is neto from Brazil
>>
>> How are you?
>>
>> I am doing a performance POC and I need to simulate 100% true random
>>workload. I am using Fibre Channel and Windows 2008R2.
>>
>> I have 8 LUNs (125GB each) and my configuration file is:
>>
>> [workload]
>> bs=8k
>> ioengine=windowsaio
>> iodepth=3
>> numjobs=35
>> direct=1
>> runtime=120
>> size=1024g
>> filename=\\.\PhysicalDrive1
>> filename=\\.\PhysicalDrive2
>> filename=\\.\PhysicalDrive3
>> filename=\\.\PhysicalDrive4
>> filename=\\.\PhysicalDrive5
>> filename=\\.\PhysicalDrive6
>> filename=\\.\PhysicalDrive7
>> filename=\\.\PhysicalDrive8
>> zonesize=1024m
>> zoneskip=3g
>> rw=randrw
>> rwmixread=80
>> rwmixwrite=20
>> thread
>> unified_rw_reporting=1
>> group_reporting=1
>> randrepeat=0
>> norandommap
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1) I am assuming the working set is the size parameter that is 1TB. Is
>> that correct?
>
>Correct
>
>> 2) What is the correlaction of the zonesize and zoneskip with the
>> randomness? Adding those will help with the randomness of the workload
>> or not?
>
>Your setting of zonesize=1g, skip=3g, will do random read/write within a
>1gb zone (so from 0-1G initially), then move to the next zone (3G-4G),
>etc. For a rotating drive, this will mean shorter seeks, since while it
>is doing one zone, it will only seek within that zone.
>
>> 3) If I use zonesize=1024m and zoneskip=3g I have like 100K IOPS
>> (coming from cache not disks) and if I use zonesize=10g and
>> zoneskip=26g I have more realistic numbers. Could someone explain
>> which is the a good example to use zonesize and zoneskip?
>
>Depends on what you want, really. With zonesize=10g, you are now seeking
>in a 10x wider area than you were before.
>
>> 4) Is it possible with fio to specify per disk randomness area: For
>> example: disk1 - start blocks 456 till blocks 3456, disk2 - start
>> blocks 4567 to 103456
>
>You'd have to use different jobs. You above example uses 8 disks and
>accesses them from all 35 jobs. You could split it a bit, so that you
>have 8 sections, each accessing one disk. You could have 4 jobs in each
>section, giving you a total of 32 jobs. Then you can set offset/size for
>each job separately.
>
>--
>Jens Axboe
>
>--

Thank you so much my friend.

Could you please do me a big favor send me an example (worse for
mechanical disks (with zones, offsets, different areas etc)). I would like
to make a blog post about it and we also could add it in our examples in
FIO distribution. I just need the "perfect" random test for mechanical
disks. I have some doubts between the relation about zones and offsets. If
you could give me an example, I really appreciate.