Latency spikes with 'thread' option

Hi All,

We're running queue depth sweeps with a 4k random read workload (sample config
below) against a high performance PCIe SSD - the Micron p320h.  We're seeing
latency spikes to 1 sec when the 'thread' option is used.  Instrumenting the
driver, we see max latencies from driver entry point to block layer completion
callback of <20 ms at high queue depths.  If 'thread' is not used, the max
latencies reported by fio align almost exactly with that seen by the driver.
There are typically only one or two of these latency outliers during a 40 sec
run, for example, but they represent a significant enough excursion to pull
our std. dev. very high.

Has anyone witnessed this sort of behavior?  We see it with all the versions
of fio that we have used (2.0.5+) with a variety of kernels.  It's also very
suspicious that the max latency is either almost exactly 1 sec or aligns with
our hardware incurred latency for the given queue depth.

Thanks,
-Sam

[global]
#thread