Re: fio --direct=1 and Linux page cache effects

Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Another idea would be to ensure that we do the bdev cache invalidation
> at a safe point. But that is done at open time right now, which should
> invalidate any cache mappings for the device. If the file close triggers
> blkid and there are no further opens of the device, then those mappings
> would remain.
>
> Would the below work for you?

It looks like it's not enough; the BLKFLSBUF ioctl winds up happening
before blkid runs. I added some instrumentation to the patch and saw
that one thread took the "f->fd != -1" path and then, after
add_file_hash failed, came back to the "from_hash" path. But all of that
seems to finish before blkid gets going, so the pages it pulls in still
won't get invalidated.

Ken