How to perform limited IO on large file over entire extent of file?

Hello,
   I frequently want to perform a set amount (e.g. 1 GB) of random I/O
over very large files or devices (e.g. 1 TB).

   I have noticed that when using the "size" argument to control the
amount of I/O, it also has the side effect of constraining the I/O to
the first "size" bytes of the file.

   Is there a way to tell FIO to perform X bytes of random I/O on a
file of size Y and have the random I/O distributed throughout the
extent of Y where Y > X?

--
Matthew Hayward
Director Professional Services