Re: FIO 2.0.9 for Windows Server 2008 RC1 SP2 reports extreme latencies

On 24/09/2012 06:41, Jeffrey McVay (jmcvay) wrote:

On windows runing 4kB random Writes to a ramdisk with numjobs=4 and iodepth=64 FIO reports clat and lat maximums times that match the runtime of the test. Changing the numjobs=1 and iodepth=1 yields max latencies that meet expectations. As a further sanity test I ran similar workloads using IOMeter with max response times that were in line with expectations.

To reproduce:

1.Download and install the freeware version of Dataram ramdisk from http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

2.Run FIO 2.0.9 with PhysD1_Fio_4kRandWr_4x64

3.Notice the max entries for clat and lat

4.For comparison run FIO with PhysD1_Fio4kRandWr_1x1

Attached are the FIO jobfiles, latency logs for the two FIO runs, IOMeter ICF files, IOMeter csv files, and screenshots comparing similar runs of FIO and IOMeter.

Thanks. I've replicated the problem and will work out what's going wrong.

--
Bruce Cran