Re: How to do strict synchronous i/o on Windows?

On 15 August 2012 17:58, Greg Sullivan <greg.sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 15/08/2012, Bruce Cran <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 15/08/2012 03:46, Greg Sullivan wrote:
>>> Thanks - that runs, but it's still queuing. As I said before, I can't
>>> use the sync engine - I receive an error. Is there a synchronous
>>> engine available for Windows? Perhaps that's the only problem.
>>> Can you check to see whether your system is queuing at the file
>>> system/device level when you run that test?
>>
>> The sync ioengine doesn't work on Windows. You should be able to get the
>> same behaviour by using sync=1 and direct=1 with windowsaio.
>>
>> --
>> Bruce Cran
>>
> Thanks Bruce. The reason I hadn't tried sync=1 is because I thought it
> only applied to writes, which I'm not interested in. I'll give it a
> try though and report back.
>
> Greg.

My profuse apologies Bruce and Martin - it IS working. I had not
actually tried to see whether direct=1   prevented queuing - I had
only tried it to prevent caching.  I'm really sorry for wasting your
time!  (sync=1 is not required for my read-only test though, it seems)

The throughput is exactly what I expected it should be, too, judging
by the throughput of the application under test.

This utility is absolutely fantastic. I can now experiment with long
term tests, using the rate command the ability to raise an alarm if
the rate cannot be maintained. I am so glad I found it. It took me a
while to find it actually.

All the best,
Greg.