Re: How to do strict synchronous i/o on Windows?

Am Dienstag, 14. August 2012 schrieb Greg Sullivan:
> On 15 August 2012 03:36, Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Greg,
[…]

> >> Thanks Jens. I do in fact have an application that reads in exactly the
> >> manner I described. I have monitored the queue depth - it does not rise
> >> above 1.  It is a real time musical sample streamer.
> >>
> >> Please consider this a new feature request for fio - thankyou.
> >
> > Is this application multithreaded? If so, are mutiple threads doing I/O
> > at the same time? If not I´d suggest just testing with one job.
>
> I don't know whether it is multithreaded or not. All I know is that it
> reads many files sequentially and in a round-robin fashion, without
> causing any disk queuing.
>
> Is it possible to read from more than file in a single job, in a
> round-robin fashion? I tried putting more than one file in a single
> job, but it only opened one file. If you mean to just do random reads
> in a single file - I've tried that, and the throughput is
> unrealistically low. I suspect it's because the read-ahead buffer
> cannot be effective for random accesses.  Of course, reading
> sequentially from a single file will result in a throughput that is
> far too high to simulate the application.

Have you tried

       nrfiles=int
              Number of files to use for this job.  Default: 1.

       openfiles=int
              Number of files to keep open at the same time.  Default:
              nrfiles.

       file_service_type=str
              Defines  how files to service are selected.  The follow‐
              ing types are defined:

                     random Choose a file at random

                     roundrobin
                            Round robin  over  open  files  (default).
                            sequential Do each file in the set sequen‐
                            tially.

              The number of I/Os to issue before switching a new  file
              can  be  specified  by  appending  `:int' to the service
              type.

? (see fio manpage).

It seems to me that all you need is nrfiles. I´d bet that fio distributes
the I/O size given among those files, but AFAIR there is something about
that in fio documentation as well.

Use the doc! ;)

Ciao,