Re: blktrace with fio replay for benchmarking vendor offerings

On 05/16/2012 11:10 PM, Jiri Horky wrote:
Hi Jarle,

On 05/16/2012 09:21 PM, Jarle Bjørgeengen wrote:
Hello,

I'm involved in the purchasing process of block storage systems, and
research viable benchmarking strategies for specifying and verifying
performance requirements.

Ideally I would like to capture our traces of our current daily
production workload with blktrace, attach the traces to the tender and
require the configuration to be able to run 2x that kind of workload.
During acceptance I would like to hook enough hardware to saturate the
system with the same workload, and measure that the requirement has
been met.

I'm interested in comments about the practical viability of such
approach if anyone have similar experiences.

actually, I am in the very same situation at Institute of Physics, where
we annually buy some 1PB of raw disk space (the money equivalent). We
ended up with very similar approach that you described. We use IOreplay
from IOapps (http://code.google.com/p/ioapps/) application to run the
load previously recorded by strace. So it is done on a file level
instead of the block level. This clearly has its advantages (you may use
different file system, benchmarks are not fatal for running systems
etc.), but of course some drawbacks as well (strace overhead, etc., see
webpage). If you are interested and have any more question/suggestion
about the IOreplay, just email me, I actually wrote it as a part of my
master thesis.

Thanks for the tip I'll check out IOapps.

Some open questions:

How safe is it to run blktrace on critical production environment?
What precautions should be made?

Given that the current system consists of 3 HP EVA800 with X number of
LUNS about 50 hosts, and the new system likely is a single system with
5 new servers running at at full speed, how much value will the
benchmark provide compared to "real world" ? Should I create equally
many luns and distribute load across the 5 machines?

Is it best to scale the workload to 2X replaying all traces
simultanously with one fio-trace-replay/lun, and then dublicate alle
replays so that each lun serves two fio-replays rather than one, and
then 3 and so on.

Any thoughts or comments are very much appreciated.
I would say that all above heavily depends on your environment, whether
the access pattern is similar to all LUNS and whether all LUNS are more
or less expected to expand similarly in the future. Personally, I would
go with settings that are simpler to setup (from the options you have
proposed) unless you really know your future requirements and you are
sure that the results obtained in both ways differ significantly.

Thanks.

- Jarle Bjørgeengen