Re: Usage of group reporting

On 2012-04-05 12:29, Lucian Grijincu wrote:

> On 4/5/12 7:42 AM, "Jens Axboe" <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Most people don't use the group reporting
>

> Why do you say that?
>
> For example I'm trying to find those parameters (direct-io, fadvise,
> number of threads, libaio/mmap/sync, etc.) that give an overall "best
> performance" (whatever that means) on a simulated workload.
>
> I'm using group reporting, because I want numbers for the entire system,
> not for an individual thread.
>
> Am I using "fio" wrong or is "fio" mostly used for other kinds of
> benchmarking?

I think there's a confusion of termininology here, it's my fault. So
when I said group reporting, I meant the group status reporting. The
part that shows up at the end of the reporting:

Run status group 0 (all jobs):
   READ: io=2369KB, aggrb=1024KB/s, minb=1024KB/s, maxb=1024KB/s, mint=2313msec, maxt=2313msec

This is what you control with the new_group, forcing fio to group
multiple jobs together for reporting.

You are probably referring to group_reporting, which is used quite
extensively. That is not the one I meant :-)

--
Jens Axboe