Sequential write problems

Hello

I'm running some benchmarks on virtual machines
I made a script that runs fio N times, with the following job file

[seqwrite]
rw=write
size=${SIZE}
directory=${DIRECTORY}
bs=${BS}
overwrite=1
refill_buffers

The first run gives about 30MB/s, which is what dd tells me is correct for the disk at hand however, from the second to last runs, I get about double that, which suggests some sort of caching effect

Is the data that's written to the file not random? I thought refill-buffers and overwrite would ensure that

The virtual machines are ubuntu oneiric 11.10, and my fio version is 2.06

Thanks