Using offsets in fio

Hi everyone,

We are using fio to emulate the SPC-1 benchmark (we hope to get this included as a --profile in fio in the not too distant future). However, we have noticed that when running our benchmark the disk we are testing does not seem to be overly busy seeking to different locations on the disk. When we run tests using Iometer we can hear the disk seeking to different sections of the disk pretty much the whole time. We are using io_u->offset to define the position in the file we wish to read/write at, but it is not clear to us whether this is having the desired effect. It doesn't seem so at this point... We have been using the sync and libaio engines.

Can someone please give us some advice to help us troubleshoot this problem? Or point us to a tool that will let us see where fio is reading/writing on the disk? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Mike