Re: io scheduler merges control

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 12:12 PM, john smith <whalajam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> IOPS-reported numbers for a test vary (more than 30% in my case) from one run to another depending on kernel io scheduler merges (reported in "Disk stats/merges=reads/writes") making it hard to measure/compare performance of block drivers, for instance.

Are you trying to measure sequential I/O?  Most application traces
I've seen show that despite the sequential/random mix reported, the
vast majority of "sequential" accesses are two blocks.  Of course this
isn't true for applications that only do logging and a few others...
but, it means that for most applications, there really isn't any
sequential access to worry about.

Are you disabling the VM Cache w/ Direct I/O?

Maybe tell us more about what you're trying to test.  It may be more a
matter of control and preconditioning than a fio issue.

Chris