Re: Large numbers of devices...

On Wed, Aug 19 2009, Alan D. Brunelle wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 11:03 +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
>

> > Alan, I haven't run with that many files, so it's indeed possible that
> > there's an inherent limitiation in the file selection in fio. It's not
> > my best code, that part... If you have the time and inclination to jump
> > in there and find out what is going on, then that would be great!
> >

> OK, will do - I just wanted to check that the fio job-file looked OK.

It looks fine, in fact if that is your setup, then you are not using the
multi file stuff. Your job files basically creates a process per device,
which should work fine as-is.

You can try and play with the iodepth batching control, iodepth_batch
and iodepth_batch_complete. They both default to 1, meaning that it'll
submit and complete 1 command at the time.

--
Jens Axboe