Re: Windows guest networking

>> Is anyone running a Windows HVM guest with networking? I recently tried
>> to connect a Windows 7 HVM guest to my network using vif-nat. For some
>> reason, the setup does not work. Oddly, Dom0 lists the vif interface
>> associated with the guest as "NO-CARRIER" even though the DomU Windows
>> guest seems to recognize its virtual network interface (RTL8139C+).
>>
>> I have no problem with a similarly configured guest running Linux.
>>
>> I am using:
>>
>> xen-4.7.1-6.fc25.x86_64
>>
>> The guest configuration is:
>>
>> name      = "windows64"
>> memory    =  2048
>> vcpus     =  1
>> builder   = "hvm"
>> altp2mhvm = 1
>> vif       = [ "script=vif-nat,ip=10.0.0.2/32,gatewaydev=wlp3s0" ]
>> disk      = [ "tap2:tapdisk:aio:/path/to/disk-windows64.img,xvda,w",
>>               "tap2:tapdisk:aio:/path/to/spare-vfat.img,xvdb,w" ]
>> serial    = "pty"
>> sdl       = 1

> Does it work if you use the default vif bridge?

It does indeed. I switched to vif-bridge, and everything worked. I am
a little suprised by this, because I thought from the point of view
of Xen both of these configurations were rather similar; I thought the
difference was in the Dom0 network configuration.

The reason I prefer vif-nat is that it makes using my WiFi interface
easier. I have to go through some trouble to bridge vif/Ethernet to WiFi.

I am left with another question: does this mean there is a bug in Xen
or the vif-nat script? If there is a bug, what else could I provide to
help fix it?

--
Mike

:wq