Re: Running fedora xen on top of KVM?

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015, Cole Robinson wrote:

> Anyone know how to get fedora + xen running in a KVM VM? I'd like to be able
> to do basic xen/libxl/libvirt testing without needed to reboot a physical machine.
>
> Trying with F23 AMD host, F22+xen L1, trying to boot into xen in the L1 VM
> just reboots very soon after trying to boot the kernel. Tried disabling all
> virtio for L1 VM, disabling virt extensions for the L1 VM, but it didn't seem
> to change anything. Unfortunately the messages scroll by so quickly I can't
> tell what's happening right before it reboots, and all efforts to convince it
> to print more debugging haven't worked.
>
> FWIW this does work with rhel5+xen L1, but that's a world away at this point.
>
> So anyone know if it's even possible? Is there a trick to it? If not,
> suggestions on getting more debug output from xen + grub2?

It works for me after a basic and probably sub-optimal install, as follows

* qemu-kvm -cdrom Fedora-Server-DVD-x86_64-22.iso -m 1024 -hda kvm.img
* do a minimal install
* after reboot dnf install xen xen-hypervisor
* select "Fedora, with Xen hypervisor" in the boot menu

If you need more debugging, boot without xen, and edit the grub.cfg file,
adding console=com1 after xen.gz and replacing rhgb quiet with
console=hvc0 in the 'Fedora, with Xen hypervisor' section, then boot kvm
with -serial eg. -serial file:boot.log which should give you xen logging
after grub has finished.

	Michael Young