Re: How to create a Xen PV DomU with a dvd ISO image, using xl/xm

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013, ranjith krishnan wrote:

Hello,
I was looking to create a Xen DomU with a .iso image saved in the hard
disk.
I ran into some trouble with http based install, hence looking at this
option.

This is what i have currently. Just wanted to know if I am on the right
track here, and hoping to get some tips if somebody has similar experience.

I compiled Xen 4.1.5 from source on a Fedora 17 Dom0, and I want to create
DomU images.
I have downloaded the .iso image for Fedora 17. I have a logical volume
xmf17lvm on volume group xenvg.

Here is my install profile ( will use "xm create -c xmf17install" )

name="xmf17install"
memory=1024
vcpus=1
disk=['file:/home/isoimage/Fedora17.iso,xvdc:cdrom,r','phy:/dev/xenvg/xmf17
lvm,xvda,w']
vif = [ 'bridge=br0' ]
onreboot = 'restart'
oncrash = 'restart'
boot='d'
builder='hvm'

Surely builder='hvm' is wrong for PV.

A PV install from an iso image is possible but tricky. You will probably need to extract the kernel and initrd.img file from the iso and load them directly in the configuration file with the kernel= and ramdisk= options, and pass appropriate boot options using the extra= option.

	Michael Young