Re: provisioning virtual machines

Arindam Choudhury wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to provision virtual machines to create a virtual machine cluster. If I try to transfer a pre-build virtual machine, its too time consuming and hard on network. So the idea of using bootstrap or kickstart seems better. Can any body point a good tutorial how to do this?

Actually I have a master image and I have to copy it on all the nodes and create virtual machines. Is there any other way to do it?

Not having done such a thing with xen, I can only say that you can do it with kvm, starting with a base image and making multiple copy on write (COW) machines which pretty much create instantly and take only as much disk space as the changed data. I would hope the xen tools would support a similar approach, but I can't tell you how to do it. Roll out of a name machine is five minutes or so, start the new VM with a fresh MAC address so your DHCP server gives it a unique IP, set the name and services and go.

I present this since you asked, not as a recommendation to do it the way I do...
Regards,
Arindam

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
  We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have
taken the first step. The steps are many, but finite in number, and if
we persevere we will reach our destination.  -me, 2010