Re: How to use xen-pciback

On 2011-05-09 08:45, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 04:18:14PM +0200, Robin Axelsson wrote:

>>> You probably should add the modules to be loaded from initrd image.
>>>
>>> Are you using mkinitrd? If yes, there's an option to preload modules..
>>>
>>> -- Pasi
>> I issued the command
>>
>>    mkinitrd -v -f --preload xen-pciback /boot/initramfs-2.6.32.39.img
>> 2.6.32.39
>>
>> and I noticed that the initramfs image file generated is considerably
>> smaller than the initramfs imagefile generated by dracut. The dracut
>> file is a bit over 80 MB whereas the new one is less than 8 MB.
>>
>> But the preload doesn't load the xen-pciback module. After the reboot
>> when I list assignable PCI devices using xm, Xen returns nothing. If I
>> issue 'modprobe xen-pciback' and then list the devices using xm I get
>> one entry. What's wrong?
>>
> Hmm.. Is it possible that the other xen-related required modules
> are not yet loaded at that point, so loading xen-pciback fails?
>
> You could always extract initramfs-2.6.32.39.img and read the 'init'
> script in it and see what it's trying to do..
>
> -- Pasi

Perhaps you know how to extract the initramfs? I'm unable to find the
compression headers and I'm not sure what headers to look for. In the
first step I tried to locate the gzip header:

# grep -a -b --only-matching $'\x8B'$'\x08' \boot\initramfs-`uname  -r`.img
(offset1): (pattern)
(offset<n>): (pattern)
# dd if=/boot/intramfs-`uname -r`.img bs=1 skip=(offset1) | gunzip >
myimagefile

but I'm unable to get to the cpio file. I tried once again grepping for
compression headers in myimagefile but I couldn't find anything. It
appears not to be compressed with zx, bzip2 or gzip. I could not use
cpio on the file directly either.

Robin.