Re: [fedora-virt] Dom0 xen support in Fedora 15?

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 08:55:13PM +0000, M A Young wrote:
> I am trying to work out whether it is practical to propose Dom0 xen
> support as a feature for Fedora 15.
>
> The kernel situation is that Domain 0 has been accepted upstream for
> 2.6.37. Assuming a 3 month kernel release cycle, F15 will most likely ship
> with a 2.6.37.x kernel, with 2.6.38 coming out either after the F15
> release or just before but too late to be included. If the plan to get key
> xen drivers into 2.6.38 succeeds, then F15 may be become usable as a
> Domain 0 system at some point during its lifetime as the kernel package in
> a Fedora version typically has one major update.
>
> If the kernel team accept backported patches then it might just be
> possible to ship F15 with usable Domain 0 support but the timescale for
> that would be very tight.
>
> The other thing we would need to consider is what needs to be done to make
> xen friendly enough to be usable by an ordinary user. The page
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0 contains plans from
> when dom0 xen support was expected to make a quick return to Fedora, but
> they are a couple of years old now so probably need updating.
>
> I think as a minimum we would need a way to add a dom0 enabled grub entry
> for a kernel, rather than requiring the user to hand edit the grub file.
> We should also make sure that xen works with the other Fedora
> virtualisation tools.

Regardless of whether the kernel gets into F15, the work to improve userspace
integration, in particular grub, would be useful sooner or later, so there's
no need to delay that. Likewise testing of all the virt tools can be done any
time against your custom kernel builds in anticipation of it being officially
supported in fedora kernels.

Regards,
Daniel
--