Re: Xen Dom0 and Fedora 14

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, W. Michael Petullo wrote:

> The first thing I did was try to build the current Fedora 14 kernel with
> Xen Dom0 support. I began porting Michael's RPM specification to the
> Fedora 14 specification. What I found was that the Xen pvops work seems
> to be targeting 2.6.32 and possibly 2.6.36.

Yes, that is one reason why I am still tracking Fedora 12, as it is
considerably easier than the other options. The other reason is it is (up
until now at least) where the main development is. When development shifts
to 2.6.36 (which is the current plan) I will probably start building
rawhide kernels.

> Next, I tried to use Michael's latest Fedora 12 kernel on Fedora
> 14. Of course, Fedora 14 uses some features that are not available
> in this kernel. Most notably, I had to provide the kernel with the
> "init=/sbin/upstart" option to avoid the use of systemd.

Yes, now that I try it I get the error
failed to mount /sys/fs/cgroup: No such file or directory
It looks like this /sys mount was introduced in 2.6.33.

> Once I booted the system, I found that xend would not start because it did
> not find what it expected in /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:00\:03.2/config:
>
> [...]
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/xen/util/pci.py", line 1050, in detect_dev_info
>    pos = self.find_cap_offset(PCI_CAP_ID_EXP)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/xen/util/pci.py", line 933, in find_cap_offset
>    id = ord(os.read(fd, 1))
> TypeError: ord() expected a character, but string of length 0 found

I don't see that - though it may depend on your hardware or which xen
version you are using. xend works for me, though one of my keyboards
doesn't work, it seems due to some apparently IRQ related problem.

 	Michael Young