Re: Xen Documentation

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

That posting is mostly based on a mis-understanding of what XenD is doing,
but also the fact that there is no way to get the config back out of XenD
using 'xm'. ie, you can load a traditional /etc/xen style config into XenD
using 'xm new CONFIG', but you can't ask XenD to generate you a traditional
style cofnig for one of the VMs its managing. Not an issue if you're using
libvirt for management, since it doesn't use /etc/xen style configs anyway.
While, there are a few people who need to use /etc/xen configs to get access
to specific features not supported in libvirt (PCI device passthrough), they
are a small niche.  On the whole switching to using the new inactive domain
management APIs in XenD was a net-win, with the benefits far outweighing
the disadvantages.

Can we mix and match. Can we have some old style configs in "/etc/xen" for some guests while using libvirt for the rest?

I'm using the new way of doing things now but wonder what will happen if some day I need PCI device passthrough for one guest. Do, I have to revert all guests back to the old style of config to have this capability for one?