Re: HVM DomU on F9?

Dustin Henning wrote:
       I actually prefer to run HVM DomUs in a regular kernel if possible
because I have always had mouse problems in Dom0 of F7, but not in the base
kernel.  I understand that KVM is an option, but since Xen now supports
Windows with ACPI (without the degradation that was once common in Xen and
is still common in KVM  because of a certain ACPI register apparently
regularly polled by Windows [I would love to know what register, as I could

It's called that Task Priority Register, or TPR.

then try to find a way to prevent Windows from doing that and KVM might
perform as well as Xen]), I feel that KVM would be a big step backwards.

For uniprocessor guests, kvm supports TPR optimization (since December 2007). It's disabled on SMP guests due to stability issues, unfortunately.

Additionally, there are apparently more paravirtual drivers available for
Windows (though they are not readily available in binary form and stable,
more on that in my next message), though using std-vga in KVM is nice (with
standard VESA 2.0, a generic Windows driver already exists outside of the
project).

A paravirtualized network driver is freely available for kvm. It is still not fully stable under heavy loads, though. We expect to fix this soon.