Re: How to backup a Domu filesystem (on LVM) from Dom0 on Fedora 8 ?

Anne Facq wrote:
Hello

I use XEN on Fedora 8 with Domu on a LVM partition.

Before, on Fedora Core 6, I could backup each Domu by directly mounting the filesystem of the Domu (mount /dev/vg00/lvfoo /mnt) and then running dump on it.

On Fedora 8, I can't mount directly the filesystem of the Domu, so I

Pardon if this is a dumb question, but why not?

backup the filesystem of the Domu using the dd command (dd if=/dev/vg00/lvfoo of=/var/xen/lvfoo.img) But the backup with dd is longer and takes more disk space than the backup with dump, as dd copies unused blocks.

Is there a better method to backup a Domu filesystem from Dom0 on Fedora 8 ?

I suppose you could use the img2qcow tool (possibly directly on /dev/vg00/lvfoo) to get a qcow file instead of a raw image. However, I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that the qcow created by the xen tools is not necessarily 100% compatible with other qcow tools.

HTH,
Aaron