Re: CPU management

Augusto Castelan Carlson wrote:
Hi!

I will have servers with different CPU specification:
Quad core, dua core, one core.

Each core appears as one VCPU for xen?
Yes

How the management works when there is only one core, dual core and quad core?

Suppose that I have 2 guests and for the quad core processor I give 2
VCPU to the dom0 and one for each domU. How it is managed? If DomU
needs more CPU, it can use idle CPU from Dom0?  If DomU is using idle
CPU from Dom0 and Dom0 starts to need CPU, it will have their slice
back?

The CPUs are not dedicated. I've not tried specifying more CPUs than I have, but I'm sure it's mentioned in the docs. I would expect it to work.

If you give any guest only one CPU, it will only use one CPU at a time, but not necessarily the same one all the time. If you want a guest to be able to use more than one CPU at a time, you need to specify two (or more) CPUs.

I think you can dynamically change the number of CPUs, but you would need to check each guest OS to see whether it's supported by that guest.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait