Re: Routing doesn't work when I boot with the Xen kernel

Jack Smith wrote:
I have a choice of kernels to boot with in Grub,
2.6.21-2952.fc8xen
2.6.23.9-85.fc8
2.6.23.1-42.fc8

As far as I can see, I have networking set up the same on all three.
(Besides, wouldn't they use the same configuration files at boot time?)  My
problem is, when I boot with the xen kernel, I can't get out through my
router.  I can ping everything on my eth0 or eth1 networks, just not go
through my eth0 Linksys router.  The only difference I've been able to see
is that something called "peth0" uses the same card as the NIC my router is
on.  Is this getting in the way somehow?

 eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:17:31:01:C8:A8

Check that the NICs are both connected to the same wire with the different kernels. if I read it correctly, they're both the same brand. Maybe the kernels detect them differently.

Unplug one, test with ethtool:
sudo ethtool eth0

Find and inspect the configuration files:
[summer@potoroo ~]$ locate ifcfg-eth
[summer@potoroo ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
# Intel Corporation 82566DM Gigabit Network Connection
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:18:71:84:A5:9E
ONBOOT=yes
[summer@potoroo ~]$

The HWADDR line ties the MAC address to the interface configuration, but I've never had the need to explore how it works, and I can imagine some different ways.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait