Where's my VM gone?

I'm on F8, and decided to have a go a creating a PV guest on LVM (x86_64 F8 DomU on x86_64 F8 Dom0) using virt-install. virt-manager doesn't appear to do anything on my (out-of-the-box) F8 Dom0; you just enter a root password, and the GUI disappears. I've already done a couple of other guests 'manually' on this DomU, without problems.

It took me a few hours to get through installation, because of various problems with NFS firewalls, DNS problems, and so on. I had to abort the install several times. when this happened, my previous VM name was 'used up'. xm list showed a zombie domain with that name, even if the installation had barely started. I couldn't start a new installation with the same name, because virt-install complained that the VM already existed.

So, I Googled around, found others with the same problem, and found out that I could remove the zombie entry with 'virsh undefine'. I eventually created a VM with the correct name, which ran Ok, and shut down the machine.

This morning I turned on the box, did an 'xm list', and found what appeared to be a zombie with the new VM name (no ID, no status; just a name). So, I virsh undefined it.

This seems to have been a big mistake. I then discovered that virt-install doesn't create a config file, and there was nothing in /var/lib/xend/domains, presumably because of the undefine (none of this is documented in Fedora7VirtQuickStart, by the way).

How do I get my VM back? Is there some way to get the XML config back? If not, is my only option to manually make an /etc/xen config file? There's a little bit of information in xend.log which I could use for the config file.

Finally, I'm (very) confused about what exactly is 'Xen' and what exactly is 'Fedora'. You seem to have done various things which I'm guessing are Fedora-specific, but which don't seem to be documented (I've had a lot of trouble with /etc/inittab, for example). Is this documented somewhere? And am I going to run into any problems if I convert a virt-install domain back to plain-old-Xen?

Thanks -

Evan