Re: Guest Image File Size

Markus Armbruster wrote:
Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Aaron Metzger wrote:
virt-install has a checkbox which suggests that you can avoid
preallocating the entire guest image size -- that the guest image
file will grow on demand.

Does this work for Xen or is it only supported for KVM and the QEMU
COW files?
yes, this works fine on xen.

Until you run out of space in the filesystem containing the image
file!  Then the guest can't write any blocks that were previously left
out of the image file, which leads to massive guest filesystem
corruption and data loss.

I use sparse image files all the time.  But only for the throw-away
domains I create for testing.

I thought I read that ext3 journals save the day. Whether they always save it, "man mke2fs" for journal options. Using a device that _is not_ sparse, it seems to me, must be safe.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait