Re: Minimal Fedora 8 Xen Setup for Laptop

Mathew Brown wrote:
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 11:33:13 +0000, "Richard W.M. Jones"
<rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
Have you thought about using qemu instead? A QEmu guest is just an ordinary Linux process, so much more predictable. It's a shame that your laptop doesn't have HVM. What is the processor?

I just rechecked.  I have the HP nc6320 and just came across a post that
says that they released a BIOS update to enable virtualization :)

This isn't uncommon. Most BIOSes disable virtualization at boot time by writing to a processor-specific register (which, on Intel, cannot be unset without booting). This is a security feature to stop a particular form of near undetectable rootkit. So you need BIOS support and this is commonly supplied through BIOS upgrades - eg. Lenovo did this for the Thinkpad models which support HVM.

hope to try it out.  But even then, how stable is Windows under Xen (I

Xen upstream certainly support Windows under Xen. Of course you absolutely do need hardware virt support in your processor. It may not surprise you to know that we don't use very much Windows round here, so I can't personally comment on how well it works.

Rich.