Re: Upgrading base Fedora installation with xen

On 06/11/2007, Keith Roberts <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm wondering if it would be possible to upgrade from one
version of Fedora to another newer version using xen,
without any down-time, apart from rebooting the machine to
activate the new installation?

I'm not a Fedora expert (I'm from the Debian camp, where such a question is irrelevant :^), but I'm not sure that you need Xen to do this.

Instead, I'd look around for:

1. "yum --installroot...". That's how I got a 64-bit Centos 4.4 running under Xen under Debian. See http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Centos4Yuminstallation

2. If jailtime.org has the version you want then download the image from there, dump it on an LVM volume using "dd", mount it and tweak it to boot with the programs you want. You might be able to test it using Xen (or Qemu?) before trying to boot it normally.

The idea is that you don't have to hassle with setting up Xen just to get the installation process running - there could be simpler ways to get the basic file system layout on your disk.

Cheers,

--Amos