Re: Creating and installing Centos under virt-manager

Andrew Cathrow wrote:
A network install is the best option but you can always add and remove devices using virsh

Have a look in the man page for virsh at attach-disk and detach-disk

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 22:36 -0400, Mark Nielsen wrote:
or create a DVD .iso file from the 6 CDs. I have instructions on my website, www.certifried.com <http://www.certifried.com>

John Summerfield wrote:
> John Lagrue wrote:
>> All working a treat: created the guest (fully virtualised - I have no
>> time for Xen), setup disk space in a 6Gb file, gave it a name, and
>> pointed the installation source to be the first of 6 .iso files for
>> Centos 5 installation
>>
>> ......then it asks for the second CDRom!
>>
>> How the blazes is one supposed to tell it where to get the file?
>>
>> I'm completely stuck! I thought this was supposed to work with .iso
>> files and I wouldn't have to burn 6 CDs. But what happens now?
>>
> Last I read, the ability to change CD was "planned for the future."
>
> You're better off using the DVD image. If you can find a .jigdo file > and template (I think CentOS does it), then you don't have to download > much of CentOS 5 again.
>
> Or do a network install: nfs should work really well over a virtual LAN.

If you don't mind the bleeding edge, the latest release of libvirt supports connecting and disconnecting cdrom backing devices (or isos) from a fullvirt xen guest. The xen guest must have a cdrom device with no "source" line in its xml definition (unfortunately we don't support this with KVM yet although we plan to soon). If you call "virsh attach-device <domain> <device.xml>" where "device.xml" is an xml file with a complete device definition like so:

    <disk type='block' device='cdrom'>
      <source dev='/dev/cdrom'/>
      <target dev='hdc'/>
      <readonly/>
    </disk>

then libvirt will attach your host cdrom device to the guest's cdrom device. Then to disconnect the cdrom, call "virsh attach-device <domain> <device.xml>" where "device.xml" is an xml file like the above, but with no "source" element.

The upcoming release of virt-manager (should be out today if it isn't already) has UI that supports this capability. Again, to be clear, this only works for fully virtualized Xen guests at the moment; we're working on adding it to kvm but have no idea when that will be available.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Take care,
--Hugh

--