Re: Xen, QEMU/KVM or Vmware ?

John Lagrue wrote:
But I also see that others are choosing Vmware server to virtualise
guests, and I wonder why. qemu-kvm is pretty good and fairly fast, so
I'm really asking why people choose to use a 3rd party system instead;
is it faster?

VMWare is a mature piece of software, and it's mature because it's been around for 10 years or so.

KVM is only about 1/5th as old :-) KVM also requires that your processor supports virtualisation features, and at the moment these types of processors are not very widespread, although in a few years time they will definitely be very common. Because VMWare (and Xen) run on more common hardware, you'll find more of them about.

Coupled with that: is the virtual machine manager going to work
properly with QEMU/KVM one day, or are the developers all assuming
we'll go for Xen? And if the latter, when might we get an Xen kernel
that's uptodate?

Yes definitely we want virt-manager to work well with QEMU and KVM. If you have found specific problems, please check out the bug database (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/). Feel free also to join in contributing fixes if you are able.

Rich.