Re: AMD Opteron Quad Core CPU Availability

Robert L Cochran wrote:
Can anyone suggest a good retail source of AMD Opteron CPUs when the quad core versions become available? Also what would be a good motherboard for these CPUs. I assume the quad core units (all versions and price levels of them) support full virtualization.

I'm pretty sure Barcelona chips are unavailable except as engineering samples. Last I heard availability was tentatively scheduled for August[1].

Barcelona has full virtualisation -- not sure about "all versions and price levels", but certainly any version which you'd want to buy should support it. Should also supported nested page tables (boot the Xen hypervisor with hap=1 option to enable it).

Rich.

[1]http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~118193,00.html