Re: virsh and virt-install examples

Thomas Antony wrote:
Hi,

I'm running F7 x86_64 with Xen 3.1 and need some advice.
I would be really happy if someone give me an example for adding a cdrom (a iso file) to a (running) domain with virsh and install Windows Server 2003 on a lvm lg with virt-install.

Thomas,

As long as your F7 is up to date, you should have a "virsh attach-device" command. Usage is along these lines:

  cat > cdrom.xml
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <source file='my-cdrom.iso'/>
      <target dev='hdc'/>
      <readonly/>
    </disk>
  ^D

  virsh attach-device DOM cdrom.xml

For virt-install I suggest reading the manpage. It has a million complicated options that you have to get right, and I've never installed W2K3 :-( But the manpage has some examples (although unfortunately not of a Windows install).

Rich.