To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <fedora-xen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 11:42 AM
Subject: Re:  Not seeing all RAM

On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 15:23 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
Let me guest - you are running a 32-bit kernel on the machine ? If so
the problem is likely that the BOIS is remapping a portion of memory
above the 4 GB mark, to make room for PCI device DMA zones. A 32-bit
kernel though can only access physical addrs upto 4 GB, so it can't
see the remapped memory.

I'm aware of that, but in my case it doesn't make sense: the server only
has 3 GB of RAM.  The kernel just doesn't see all of it.

I was using kernel-xen-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6 and about 512 MB were missing.
After upgrading to kernel-xen-2.6.20-1.2962.fc6, the kernel can see more
memory, but I'm still missing about 256 MB.

I'm going to open a new bug report for this.

PCI device mapping to DomUs is insanely fragile, whether it works or not
is mostly luck. In this case since you added more memory, the locaiton of
the PCI device's DMA zone probably changed and by (bad) luck is no longer
accessible to the DomU or something like that.

That's what I figured, though I don't know all of the details.  However,
with the new kernel being able to see more of the 3 GB, the domU is
working again.  The pci device I'm hiding from dom0 is being properly
handed to the domU.

Regards,

Ranbir
--