Re: opensuse hvm under fc6?

Tom Horsley wrote:
I've been happily installing hvm's under fedora core 6 (x86_64),
and then I got to opensuse 10.2 (also x86_64). When I try pointing
virt-manager at the DVD image and installing with a big file
for a virtual disk, the VM crashes almost immediately.

Anyone seen this?

It is just the blasphemy detector that triggers it? :-).

No, it also happens when installing suse on suse ;)

Problem is the graphical boot loader, it exercises some real-mode tricks which work on real hardware but not in the vt real-mode emulation.

While one can argue it is xen bug sles10 got a workaround nevertheless, it detects xen somehow and doesn't use the grapical screen then. For some obscure reason that patch didn't made it into opensuse 10.2 ...

Ok, what you can do:

(1) Try hold down shift at boot, that should turn off the graphical
    bootloader screen too.  Might be difficult as the window almost
    instantly disappears ...
(2) Grab kernel and initrd from boot/$arch/loader and boot them somehow
    (not involving a graphical bootloader ...)
(3) Do a paravirtual install instead
    (http://et.redhat.com/~kraxel/xen/suse-guest.html)
(4) Get an AMD machine (SVM has real-mode support for VMs in hardware
    and unlike VT don't suffer from incomplete-real-mode-emulation
    issues).

Oh, and btw: same story for kvm installs ...

HTH,
  Gerd