Re: NetBSD 3.1 on fc6 xen 3.0.3

Timothy D. Keanini Sr. wrote:

<snip>

> [root@testlab netbsd]# cp netbsd.cfg /etc/xen/netbsd.cfg
>
> [root@testlab netbsd]# xm create -c /etc/xen/netbsd.cfg
> Using config file "/etc/xen/netbsd.cfg".
> Error: (22, 'Invalid argument')

<snip>

> ### xend-debug.log output
> ##
> ERROR: Kernel not a Xen-compatible Elf image.
> ERROR: Error constructing guest OS
> ERROR: Kernel not a Xen-compatible Elf image.
> ERROR: Error constructing guest OS
> ERROR: Kernel not a Xen-compatible Elf image.
> ERROR: Error constructing guest OS

Yes, I have run into the same thing.  The problem is that NetBSD doesn't have a PAE enabled kernel available, and FC6 is compiled to use PAE.  Unfortunately, you are probably out of luck unless:

1)  You recompile the FC6 kernel and HV to be non-PAE.  It's fairly straightforward, but the problem then is that your other FC6 guests won't work (because then you will have non-PAE dom0, but PAE guests).

2)  Find someone willing to make NetBSD use PAE.

There are also some bimodal (meaning that both PAE and non-PAE guests would work on a PAE dom0) patches going into upstream Xen, but I'm not sure if we would put those into FC6 (or they would wait for FC7 or later).

Chris Lalancette