Re: [Fedora-xen] Adding more space to the system withou using LVM in the host

Thanks Kwan,

I'll try that tomorrow.

Regards,
Ignacio.

Kwan Lowe escribió:
Hi,

I've a few Virtual Machines running FC5, the host is also FC5. I want to
add some hd space to one of the VMs, and as  they are using LVM, I think
it shouldn't be so difficult. This is the line configuring the harddisk
for the Xen VM:

disk = [ 'file:/mnt/md0/xenM/autillo/autillo1,xvda,w' ]

How do add other xvda? I want to create, for example
/mnt/md0/xenM/autillo/autillo2 and add that space to the LVM in the VM.
How should I do this? Maybe the solution is to export autillo2 as
/dev/hdX or /dev/sdX?

How should I format the file using mke2fs? Thanks a lot and sorry if the
questions are easy to solve, but I'm still not clear about that things!

Easiest way is to use dd to create a blank file in ./autillo.  E.g.:

  dd if=/dev/zero of=autillo2 count=1024 bs=1M

Then, edit the configuration and add the new disk:

disk = [ 'file:/mnt/md0/xenM/autillo/autillo1,xvda,w', \
         'file:/mnt/md0/xenM/autillo/autillo2,xvdb,w' ]

You need to shutdown then restart the domU at that point (xm restart on the domU
doesn't seem to pick up the new disk).

>From the domU, you should then be able to see a new disk ("dmesg |grep xvdb").  Use
fdisk to partition it as an 8e partition. Write the new table. Run pvcreate against
/dev/xvdb1. Then vgextend the new PVs into your existing volume group.