[Fedora-tools-list] DNS search path

I am pretty comfortable with networking, but I've always had this hole in my understanding, and want it filled. In Fedora's Network Configuration control panel, there is a field for DNS search path. I believe that it defaults to localhost.localdomain, which doesn't seem very useful. I understand that some providers give out the information for this field, but many hosts don't list this info. Is this field the fqdn of the router provided by the ISP, another router further into the ISP's network, or what? Can it be either a fqdn or an ip?

Thanks for any direction!

Steven Stromer

--

Fedora-tools-list@xxxxxxxxxx