[Fedora-tools-list] Re: Can one debug 32-bit x86 images with an x86_64 gdb?

[switched mailing list as this is redhat specific]

John Yates wrote:
We are starting to port our 32 bit product to an x86_64
platform (RH 4.0 beta2).  Once we have it running as a
32 bit image (still compiled with gcc 2.96) we will start
the slog to gcc 3.x and a full 64 bit port.

Except for the 32 bit gcc which we have had to migrated
-- our code currently includes numerous anachronisms no
longer accepted by the 3.x compilers -- we have been able
to coax the native system tools (bison, ar, ld, etc) into
compliance with our 32 bit build procedure.

Debugging is a different story.  The install gdb image
describes itself as:

  6.1post-1.20040607.46rh
  x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu

It does not decline to debug our 32 bit images yet it
produces total garbage.  Is there a flag or environment
variable that I may have overlooked?  Or is a single gdb
image not intended to fulfill both roles?

I'd first confirm that the Red Hat [vendor] supplied compiler can build/debug a 32-bit application (gcc -m32).

Assuming that's the case (I expect it to since I test it and the results match 32-bit on 32-bit :-) I'd then start looking for other querks in your non-standard 32-bit build environment. Off the top of my head: was that 32-bit environment built 32-bit; does it work on 32-bit systems; is the debug info being corrupted (stabs vs dwarf-2).

Andrew

[Index of Archives]     [GCC Help]     [Fedora Development]     [Fedora Announce]     [Fedora Legacy Announce]     [Home]     [Fedora Config]     [PAM]     [Red Hat 9]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]