Re: [Fedora-tools-list] how do you link to a different lib location at run time?

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 10:52:52AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   if i call the old and new library locations "/old" and "/new"
> > respectively, one option is to compile the programs with:
> >
> >   $ gcc ... -Wl,-R /new -L/old -llib1 -llib2
>
> Hmm, -Wl,-R /new is wrong.
> Either use -Wl,-R,/new or -Wl,-R -Wl,/new or -Wl,-rpath,/new.
> The linker certainly doesn't demand the rpath to exist.

interesting -- yes, that first variation works nicely, but i'm still
puzzled about what's been happening until now.  (i was working with a
makefile that was just handed to me, and it contained the offending
call to "gcc" with the options above with that space.)

if i do the compile as above (with the space in "-Wl,-R /new") and
there is no such directory on the build system, i get an error to that
effect.

*however*, if i just create that as an empty directory on the build
system, then the compile seems happy even though the directory is
entirely empty and gcc clearly doesn't need anything from it.  and a
check of the resulting executable shows that it has an internal rpath
value of "/new".  is there a way to understand why that's been
happening?

> If you want to link against say lib1.so that links against lib2.so
> in /old, but in the end will be in /new, you can use -rpath-link
> too, i.e. gcc ... -Wl,-rpath,/new,-rpath-link,/old -L/old -l1
>
> >   other options include working with /etc/ld.so.conf on the new
>
> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf works well.

i'd definitely considered that, and will probably go with that.

rday

[Index of Archives]     [GCC Help]     [Fedora Development]     [Fedora Announce]     [Fedora Legacy Announce]     [Home]     [Fedora Config]     [PAM]     [Red Hat 9]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]