Well, I've switched to KDE now

Since gnome shell wasn't working well for me, I've
switched to KDE.  I'm trying to get back some of
the functionality I was using in gnome2.  One thing
I do is query the screensaver in a cron job to log
my consulting hours.  So I figured I'd attempt to use
a portable way of doing that, so I tried:

xdg-screensaver status

which I thought was supposed to be a desktop
agnostic way of checking the screensaver.  But
I got this error:

Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.gnome.ScreenSaver was not provided by any .service files disabled

So how do I make that work and why am I still
getting gnome errors when I'm using KDE?

Thanks,

           David