Re: f15 and fonts

On 05/01/2011 08:05 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>   1) Implicit in his post - as I read it - was please go back to f14
> fonts - he didnt like the change as he saw it. Or perhaps their was
> another problem which make his fonts appear 'thin'.

I am not going to assume that going back to previous font was a
suggestion in there.  It is also useful to know that it is not just the
default.  Fontconfig also has changed as previously patent encumbered
functionality is now enabled (the associated patent has expired).
Simply changing fonts is likely not going to get results.  Fonts are
also something that people tend to be rather finicky about.   Try and
get 10 people to agree on which font looks better for instance.  Also
other distributions might be enabling patent encumbered functionality
that Fedora won't.   This is a complex topic.  A detailed feedback
(including screenshots) in bugzilla might be better.

>   3) A suggestion for you RS - IMO - for example - It would be a lot
> better to simply ask politely - 'do you know of different fonts that
> might look better or do you think its a display issue or something else'
> or something ... instead of accusing him of not being constructive ...

There was no accusations.  When someone repeatedly posts about horrible
fonts and inadequate documentation but doesn't answer any followup
questions on what is missing, I have to point out that it is not the
style that is going to yield any good results.

Rahul