Fallback mode further hosed?

Up until now, the fallback mode has preserved (to an approximation) my
older panel setup - a single panel, not full width, on the bottom.  Today
all that's gone; now I have two panels.  My launchers are gone, as is a
fair amount of my vertical screen space.

Is this deliberate?  If so, why?  It was tolerable before, now it's not.
Is there any way to get my old setup back?

Thanks,

jon