running F15 programs on a RHEL 5.6 box

Dennis Gilmore <dennis <at> ausil.us> writes:

> On Friday, April 01, 2011 07:25:09 AM Andre Robatino wrote:
> > I'm looking into the possibility of generating deltaisos directly on
> > alt.fp.o, which runs RHEL 5.6, rather than downloading the ISOs, creating
> > the disos, then uploading them. This would make it possible to post the
> > disos much sooner as my connection is 3/768 DSL and most of the time
> > involved is in the download/upload. In addition, alt.fp.o has 8 cores, so
> > it would be possible to use 2 of them simultaneously. (The programs I
> > need, makedeltaiso and applydeltaiso, are single-threaded.)
> >
> > The possibilities I'm aware of are either creating static executables or
> > using a chroot environment (the first seems preferable, if possible). Can
> > anyone give any pointers? Thanks.
>
> Its not at all possible, glibc in f15 requires that the host be running 2.6.32
> or newer kernel, and its running 2.6.18.

I've found by just attempting to run the F14 and F15 {make,apply}deltaiso
executables that the F14 version of makedeltaiso seems to work normally, though
F14's applydeltaiso complains:

applydeltaiso_f14: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by
applydeltaiso_f14)

The F15 versions both fail due to the missing liblzma.so.5, as expected. Would
the difference between F14's
glibc-2.13-1 and F15's glibc-2.13.90-8 make F15's makedeltaiso fail even if
liblzma.so.5 was installed? Just getting that to work would save quite a bit of
time. Ideally, I'd like to find a way to make this work without any such outside
support, though.