Re: Possible future wpa-supplicant behavour question

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 04:17:58PM -0800, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I am in the IEEE 802.11ai session.  This is 'Fast Initial Link' setup, a
> new task group in 802.11.

Hi Robert,

I'm pretty interested in this, I'll follow up privately from another
account...

> We are looking at how we can accelerate a number of steps in wireless so
> that people walking (or even driving) from one WiFi domain to another
> will actually work.  I am involved in two parts of this work.  To put
> security schemes into the AUTHENTICATE exchanges and IP address
> assignment in the ASSOCIATE exchange.
>
> Let's talk about the IP address assignment.  A scenario would have the
> ASSOCIATE REQUEST have an address request Information Element
> (IE-addr-req); it would have IPv4 and IPv6 flags (so you can get either
> or both back).  An IPv6 IE in the ASSOCIATION RESPONSE would look like
> an IPv6 RA packet.  An IPv4 IE would look like a DHCP response packet.
> This would be pasted up to that kernel in the MLME-MAC-Response, before
> Link establishment.
>
> Here is the question:
>
> Could the kernel accept and handle this information without the Link
> being up?

If I understand you right, this would be more or less like an
inline (or in-negotiation) method for address resolution. I don't think
it would be particularly difficult to add this support to the softmac
code.

> Given the speed of standards work, we have a couple years to get this
> working  :)
>
> Potentially by the next 802.11 meeting at the end of March, I could have
> diagrams of what the ASSOCIATION frames would look like and it would be
> really great if someone could actually code up a working implementation
> for Proof of Concept.  I am NOT a programmer.
>
> Oh, putting a security exchange in the AUTHENTICATION is on the table as
> well.  I am personally pushing HIP, but we will parametrise it for also
> IKEv2 and 802.1X to establish the WPA MSK, PTK, and GTK (these are the
> various keys used in WPA).
>
> Oh you can see the various presentation on 802.11ai by going to:
>
> https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/documents
>
> and selecting TGai for the currrent efforts and FIA SG for the study
> group efforts
>
> https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/10/11-10-1146-00-0fia-feasible-exchange.ppt
>
> is a presentation I made back in September showing some feasible exchanges.

Thanks, should be interesting reading.

--Kyle