Re: cannot boot beyond runlevel 1

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 03:12:01PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/boot.log-f15r-t2240.txt
> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/dmesg-f15r-t2240.txt
> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/messages-f15r-t2240.txt
The last one comes back with "Access forbidden!".

> Can anyone tell me from those logs why booting into any runlevel beyond 1
> simply stops,

Apparently, from your boot.log, something gets stuck trying to
configure network interfaces.  Why this is the case you are the one
in a position to investigate.

Either boot to a level 1, turn off whatever tries to configure eth0
and boot to a level 3, or go into an "interactive control of
services" mode and skip whatever gets stuck.  Once at a command line
try to bring up an offending service (or services) manually and
watch what goes haywire.

> I tried a dist upgrade from F14 yesterday,

It is possible then that you bumped into some problems with systemd.
Quite likely it would be truly good to know what really went wrong.

> and X
> doesn't start successfully if I attempt booting directly to runlevel 5.

X requires as a minimum at least properly configured loopback
network interface and a basic sanity of network parameters (in
particular if you require an outside network access to resolve a
host name then you are in trouble with a networking down).  In any
case do not worry about X before you can boot to a login prompt.

   Michal