Re: [HEADS-UP] PostgreSQL 9.0.2 now in rawhide

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 23:12:12 -0500,
  Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yeah, it's intentional that the config files aren't copied, since we
> don't have any automated way of figuring out what you changed in the
> old versions (and just blindly dropping the old ones into the new
> version is a bad plan).  There is a note about this in the README
> file, but maybe that's not sufficiently visible.  Should I have the
> "service postgresql upgrade" script tell you about it?  Usually
> initscripts aren't supposed to be too verbose, but since this particular
> action can only get invoked manually, maybe it's okay to do that.

I expected postgresql.conf not to get copied, but I figured that pg_hba.conf
and pg_ident.conf wouldn't have changed enough between 8.4 and 9.0 to
invalidate them.

I think it is reasonable for the upgrade service to be a bit more chatty, since
I would expect that to be run manually and just for the update. Just saying
to check the conf files before restarting posgres would probably be enough.