Re: F14 cpuspeed / ondemand broken?

On 24/12/2010 4:59 PM, Steven Haigh wrote:
> I've been trying to nut out an issue with cpuspeed on a Fedora14 box...
>
> It seems when cpuspeed is started, it clocks the frequency back to the
> lowest available (350Mhz in my case), and there it stays.
>
> If I do something to create CPU load ( while true; do true; done ) then
> the CPU fails to be clocked back up to max frequency. In fact, no matter
> what I do on that box the CPU doesn't move from 350Mhz...
>
> To get the system back to 2.8Ghz I need to rmmod the p4-clockmod module.
>
> I thought this might have been something silly with the thresholds so I
> set UP_THRESHOLD and DOWN_THRESHOLD manually in /etc/sysconfig/cpuspeed
> - however then when starting cpuspeed I see:
>
> # /etc/init.d/cpuspeed restart
> Disabling performance cpu frequency scaling: [ OK ]
> /etc/init.d/cpuspeed: line 86:
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold: No such file
> or directory
> /etc/init.d/cpuspeed: line 86:
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold: No such file
> or directory
> Enabling ondemand cpu frequency scaling: [ OK ]
>
> Kernel version is:
> # cat /proc/version
> Linux version 2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686
> (mockbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version 4.5.1 20100924
> (Red Hat 4.5.1-4) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Mon Oct 18 23:56:17 UTC 2010
>
> Anyone have any ideas on this? :\

This gets even more interesting!

# cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 008: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
Report errors and bugs to cpufreq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, please.
analyzing CPU 0:
   driver: p4-clockmod
   CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
   CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
   maximum transition latency: 10.00 ms.
   hardware limits: 350 MHz - 2.80 GHz
   available frequency steps: 350 MHz, 700 MHz, 1.05 GHz, 1.40 GHz, 1.75
GHz, 2.10 GHz, 2.45 GHz, 2.80 GHz
   available cpufreq governors: ondemand, userspace, performance
   current policy: frequency should be within 350 MHz and 2.80 GHz.
                The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
                within this range.
   current CPU frequency is 2.80 GHz (asserted by call to hardware).
analyzing CPU 1:
   driver: p4-clockmod
   CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 1
   CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 1
   maximum transition latency: 10.00 ms.
   hardware limits: 350 MHz - 2.80 GHz
   available frequency steps: 350 MHz, 700 MHz, 1.05 GHz, 1.40 GHz, 1.75
GHz, 2.10 GHz, 2.45 GHz, 2.80 GHz
   available cpufreq governors: ondemand, userspace, performance
   current policy: frequency should be within 350 MHz and 2.80 GHz.
                The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
                within this range.
   current CPU frequency is 2.80 GHz (asserted by call to hardware).

Ok, so it thinks its using the performance governor - even though the
config files for cpuspeed say to use ondemand..

# cpufreq-set -g ondemand
# echo $?
0

Now it should have set ondemand as the governor.

# cpufreq-info | grep governor
   available cpufreq governors: ondemand, userspace, performance
                The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
   available cpufreq governors: ondemand, userspace, performance
                The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use

Interesting. No change at all.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz@xxxxxxxxx