Re: F14 Alpha - First impressions

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Fulko Hew wrote:

> a) I'm disappointed that I couldn't try it in VirtualBox v3.0.8,
>    but then again F13 wouldn't install there either.
>    (It might work under newer VirtualBox's, but thats all I have right now.
>    (The installation 'infinite loops during system loader phase with a
> stack trace')

If your hardware supports VM then why not run it under KVM? All I did to get it
working from CLI was:
  qemu-img create -f qcow2 fc14a3.img 6G
  qemu-kvm -m 1000 -hda fc14a3.img -cdrom Fedora14a3-LiveCD.iso -boot d

I believe KVM is newer than Fedora 8, so its not available to me (at the moment).

> b) I'm glad that it does (so far) attempt to install under QEMU
>    (under the virtual machine manager from Fedora 8)

I hope you don't mean the software emulated version, it will work (I did FC10
x86_64 on a Pentium-III as a hack), but it will be leisurely.

I think its not the pure emulated version, but there is 'some kind' of hardware
assist going on.  It seems to work 'fairly' well... when it works.

I was using QEMU from F8 - F10, then switched to VirtualBox for F11 and F12
But F13 and F14 don't work under either (with the versions I have hosted
under F8.

> c) The GUI install wouldn't work, but I fell back to text install.
>
> d) I was disappointed that it would not let me select the packages
>    to install (I want KDE not Gnome)

Need the full install for that, LiveCD is GNOME.

I was using the 'full install'.